Questions to ask your Congressman/Congresswoman or Senator
Meeting your elected officials is a great way to get involved in the democratic process. How does one get this job and how does one help out, get an internship or become a page at the Capitol?
Take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about those who dedicate themselves to public service.
Here are some questions for the kids to prepare before meeting their Congressman. Try to keep the questions away from the political side of things. We would like the kids to learn about the job and not let politics interfere with the experience.
- How do you become a Senator/House Representative?
- Why did you want to become a Senator/House Representative?
- What did you do before you were elected?
- Have you met the President?
- How long can you be a Senator/House Representative?
- Do you like your job?
- What do you do as a Senator/House Representative?
- How many Senators/House Representatives are there?
- What is the leadership for the Senate/House of Representatives?
- Who can become a Senator/House Representative?
- What surprised you the most about this job?
- What is the toughest part of the job?
- What is the easiest part of the job?
- What’s your favorite part of D.C.?
- Do you live in D.C.?
- Will you run for re-election?
- We’ve heard that some Senators/House Representatives end up sleeping in their offices… Is that what it’s like for you?
- Do you miss being in (Your State)?
Questions for the Staff/Interns
The Staffers and Interns are important players in supporting the elected officials. Make sure to learn from them and their experiences.
In-case we get to meet with the staff or interns of the Senators/House Representative here are some questions that the kids should prepare to ask them as well.
- Do you like working with the Senator/House Representative?
- How do you like your job?
- What is the pay like?
- Why did you get into working with the Senator/House Representative?
- Are the hours long?
- Do you want to run for Senator/House Representative one day?
- Is the work hard?
- What does your job entail?
- Do you like working in D.C.?
- What is your favorite part about working at the Capitol?